Monday, November 23, 2009

Giving Back this Holiday Season

What an incredibly full weekend! A successful night with the new band @ Andrews Upstairs playing with the Jaspects and Van Hunt, spending quality time with my hubby and loved ones, breathing in the cool fall air and just realizing how thankful I am. It's getting close to the holiday season and I'm just reveling in how blessed I've been. There's just this inexplicable energy around me and I have a pressing desire to give back. It's a desire that's birthed within me since this past summer.

While at a music conference in July, I absorbed some great creative as well as industry advice while tuning in spiritually to what my next steps would be with music. Somehow it came to me during one of the seminars that I would become even more involved with a cause close to my heart - one that deeply affects me. I remember last Christmas hearing about a national organization that fights human trafficking and child sex trafficking both here in the U.S. as well as abroad. I was shocked at just how prevalent it was, particularly in my hometown of Atlanta. While the hubby and I gave generously, I couldn't help but feel there was something more we could do. It came back into my consciousness after my spiritual and physical recovery and I returned home from the conference determined to get in touch with the folks @ Not for Sale Campaign.

What's resulted is my involvement in a beautiful program by the Not for Sale Campaign called Season of Freedom that allows former victims and survivors to create personally made and fair-trade gifts for those interested in buying holiday gifts with meaning. The event will be held at Defoor Centre in Atlanta on Thursday Dec. 3rd @ 7 PM. There's a cover charge of $10. My band, now collectively titled Lucid Theory will be playing during the event, and several organizations such as Wellspring Living and Cards from Africa will be represented.

I'm honored to be a part of this event and look forward to blessing these incredible organizations. You can bet I'll be stocking up on gifts with a cause!

No comments: